Friday, April 30, 2010

I have a complaint

I bought two volumes of the Conan manga at the con last weekend and I couldn't help but notice that the names were switched out. Like the American names are used instead of the original Japanese names.

All I want to know is, why? I know the manga is called Case Closed, like the dub, but there is no need to change the names. There really wasn't a need to change the names for the dub either but, whatever.

And they didn't even change all the names either. So you get situations like, two childhood friends who were born and raised in Osaka, Japan, and their names are Harley Hartwell and Kazuha Tomoya. That kinda makes no sense...

And I don't even know why it's like this because the names are fine in the French publication.

They don't change the names of the random suspects/victims/people either. So you've got a story set in Japan, but most of the main characters have American names. Nice going, Viz.

I haven't facepalmed over this since these two security guards on the dub introduced themselves as 'Baka Security' (shouldn't it be Baker anyway?).

No comments: