Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Posting From the Field

Day 4 of the vacation and I am so ready to be home. 

Somehow when I thought about what was going to happen on this trip, I never even considered the lack of independence that would happen. I mean, I still live with my parents, but I have my own money and car and am basically free to come and go as I please. Here, I have to rely on other people taking me around if I want to go places, which is a bitch because it's a lack of control I'm finding really hard to deal with.

Take today, my brother was supposed to take me downtown but I haven't heard back from him in hours. How am I supposed to prepare myself for an outing when I don't know when or if it's happening. Add in the fact that I'm supposed to get a meal in me at some point that just makes everything even worse. I am not in control of when I eat here either, not really, not my kitchen, not my house, not my food. Sooooooo... stress.

(Also I'm having movies playing HD movies on my tiny-ass laptop, so if anyone knows anything about that, please send help.)

Another thing I haven't considered is what it would be like staying in a house with small children. I haven't actually stayed over at anyone's house for any length of time in years, especially one with kids. My brothers are only three years younger than I am so we were all kids together. My two cousins are 10 and under, and sometimes their friends show up. So that's a lot more kids than I'm used to hanging around. It's a lot louder than I'd have expected as well, although that may be because my youngest cousin is possibly insane.

Anyway spending the Christmas season with children will also be a different thing considering that a lot of the fun around Christmas is mostly for children. So that will be different. Also Christmas dinner has the potential to be stressful as all hell because extended family will be there that I pretty much never see ever. So that's something else to angst over. Also I will be missing seeing the usual family members I see at Christmas.

No comments: