Sunday, July 24, 2011

DoraaAAAHH! (also, relatives)

So I was babysitting my baby cousin and we were watching Dora the Explorer.

I'm really starting to greatly dislike Dora (and most of the other kids shows... and people say anime is weird). I know I'm not the target audience for Dora, but that show just annoys the hell out of me.

I suppose that it's an interesting concept: to watch a show that looks like a computer game being played. Of course, actually playing the game would be a lot more fun. But I watch my cousin watch it and she seems to be learning something from it, she sometimes answers Dora's questions so I guess that's worth something.

But that show just grates on my nerves.

And now for the obligatory arsehole complaint: the language.

Now, I have no problem with teaching children second languages (I am bilingual, myself, and have been since I was a baby, speaking two languages is awesome). Nope, my problem here is that the second language in question is Spanish.

There's nothing wrong with the Spanish language. In fact, I actually tried to learn it when I was younger (I've since switched to Japanese). But there really isn't any need to know Spanish in the area where I live. As far as I know, no one around here really speaks it (unless there are some people that do and I just don't know, totally possible). My family is French, Acadian to be more specific. So that means that my cousin is Acadian, so if she should learn any language other than English, it should be French.

Problem is that I don't think there are any shows that teach French, just Spanish Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen any shows teaching French. The closest I can think of is Madeline, but from what little I can remember, that show just had French words spoken here and there, no French was directly being taught like in Dora.

I'm done now.

...

And now for relatives.

The older I get, the more I seem to really dislike most of the people on my mother's side of the family. My mom has three brothers, and they all have families and I have no complaints with them. They're awesome, nothing wrong there (except maybe with the middle's brother's family and how I can't really connect with them, but that's probably due to the fact that I don't really know them all that well, so, moving on). And I love my Nanny (Mom's mother) and my cousins from America, fucking awesome the whole lot of them. And I love my dad's side of the family (those that I've actually met anyway, love 'em all).

But a lot of my mother's cousins are assholes, or I just don't like them for whatever reason.

We just had some of her cousins stay with us for a week or so, her cousin and his two kids. Her cousin is an arsehole. Every time we were together in the same room he kept teasing me about my smiling problem (also known as The Smile That Keeps Happening at Innapropriate Times) that I can't control. It annoyed the fuck out of me, and even when I tell my mom about it, she just laughs it off and tells me that I'm overreacting.

They left on Friday, and now we have other cousins staying with us. A husband and wife pair I've known since I was very young. The husband is constantly teasing me, or just annoying me. Sometimes he's funny, most of the time he isn't. And the wife is just... odd. About a half-hour or so ago, she came in to see what I was doing on my laptop (I was downloading something), and then she just sat next to me on the couch and stared at my computer screen saying nothing for about two full minutes. It was awkward to say the least, and weird. And my mom knows that I'm annoyed and made uncomfortable by this, but, again, she just laughs and says that I'm overreacting. And she once told me that when I'm irritable about the husband and don't laugh, or whatever, at his jokes that I'm hurting his feelings.

*headdesk*

Y'know what actually, my mother's an asshole.

... and now I'm pissed. Especially because I'm being kicked out of my room because Mom's cousins sleep in it. I sleep in my brothers' room.

My brothers, by the way, have been sleeping in the living room for the past week or so until Friday (because of the other cousin and his kids). And yes, we have a pull-out couch bed thing. But this happens every single fucking time.

GIVE THOSE TWO THE FUCKING PULL-OUT BED, YOU FUCKWIT!!!

... okay... now I'm really pissed...

No comments: