Saturday, June 18, 2011

And the drama continues

Okay, so, last week I watched the Secret Life episode where Ben and Adrian's baby died, and I wrote a post about what I did and didn't like about it.

Now I'm going to talk about this week's episode (... yeah, I know I'm late with it).

I saw the preview for this episode and from what I saw I thought that we were going to go right back into the frustrating relationship drama and everyone talking about nothing but sex. While watching the show, I was pleasently surprised to find that I was wrong about what to expect (for the most part) and found that this episode was pretty well written.

We first start out with Amy and Ricky. Apparently Amy slept over at Ricky's apartment. I just skipped through that because I don't care.

Then we turn to Ben and Adrian in their apartment, where we witness some stellar acting. At some point Adrian tells Ben that their baby would've been "eight weeks old today", meaning that about two months have gone by since last week's episode. Ben is about to leave for school, and Adrian is... not.

Both of them are still mourning the loss of their baby and Adrian seems to be taking it worse than Ben. It almost looks like Adrian hasn't been leaving the condo much in the past two months. She hasn't really been communicating with anyone (except for maybe a few visits with a therapist and her parents), and seems to mostly talk to people through text messaging. Adrian also delivers a pretty angry speech about how she's feeling. It was very well acted and kind of scared me.

Ben goes to school by himself and we eventually see that he may not be coping as well as everyone thinks. He actually snaps at both Ricky and Amy I think twice during the episode. Ricky and Amy have some moments, and Amy goes over to the condo to talk to Adrian, and from that we learned that Adrian named her baby Mercy.

And some other stuff went on, but I don't remember most of it.

Anyway, I did like (most of) this episode. For one thing, sex was only mentioned once (that I can remember), and it was actually relavent to the conversation (Tom was talking to Kathleen about his girlfriend). And the episode didn't jump all over to everyone harping about sex, it mostly stayed with Adrian, Amy, Ricky and Ben. There were some scenes with Kathleen and Tom, and I think there was a scene with Ashley, but that was just to establish that she was going to be leaving for her cross-country trip soon (she's basically leaving the show).

I liked the overall tone of this episode. We saw Ben and Adrian trying to cope with their baby's death (without major fanfare), and those scenes were well-done. I think everyone thought that Adrian would take things a bit better than Ben, since Ben is kinf of a wimp and was always sheltered and Adrian's a very strong woman. But it was a surprise to see that Ben seems to be having an easier time trying to deal with everything that happened while Adrian is basically shutting down.

This episode proves that the writers of this show aren't all completely incompetent, and that the show will still work even without all the sex talk and without the annoying characters (like Madison and Lauren... especially Madison and Lauren... lets just continually have less of Madison and Lauren). There were some mentions of relationship drama, but it was kept to minimum. It was mostly talk of Ricky getting back with Adrian because her and Ben's relationship was just based around them having a baby (which makes sense, nearly everyone could see something like that coming up). But that's something that's really starting to get on my nerves. Amy, Adrian, Ben and Ricky all seem to be stuck in this weird relationship loop thing, I'm starting to wish that they'd all just completely separate from each other and just find four new unrelated people to go out with.

But I do like the direction this show seems to be going in.

And then I saw the previews for next week.

From what I could see, it looked like Ricky fucked up somewhere and Amy's gonna be mad at him (oh, puss puss). Hopefully I'm misinterpreting it (again), because I think plot lines about Ricky sleeping around and Amy being pissed at him over it are pretty tired out at this point. Unless he gets an STD, or gets some other girl pregnant, or has some kind of breakdown over it... it's starting to get annoying.

... actually, having a child fathered by Ricky from pre-Amy times showing up would be pretty awesome. That's what should happen after the dead baby plot has wrapped up.

No comments: