Wednesday, April 28, 2010

COOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!1111

*Ahem*

So, this is a tad late, but here is the post where I tell about my trip to the anime convention.

So me, my mother, my friend, my friend's cousin, and her aunt went up to Halifax on Saturday, the day before the convention. After being dragged through shops and stores and a family restaurant, we made it to the hotel, which turned out to be the poshest hotel I have ever seen in my life. For srs.

The place had bellhops and chandeliers. I have never before seen that in a hotel in my life. My mind was blown. Anyway, our room was on the 11th floor and was small as all hell. Our room in the creepy hotel in Sorento was bigger, and that hotel sucked. We only had two beds for five people, and the beds weren't very big either. Oh well.

After a hockey game and a few anime episodes on my laptop, everyone turned in for the night and got up again at 7:30 the next morning, because we're masochists. Actually, it was probably good that we got up that early because we only made it down to the registration line-up by 9.

The line-up stretched from the registration counter all the way down two flights of stairs. Yeah, at least it moved fast. Me, Meghan and Hailey were floored at everything we saw, or I was anyway. I had never before seen cosplay in real life, and there it was standing all around me!

After registering, the first place we went was the vendors room and holy shit people! There were cosplayers everywhere, and I had a ball just pointing out all the ones I recognized to my mother. Then I saw the manga for sale and that held my attention for a while (at one table they were going for 4$ a book and at another they were going for half the US price, score!). By the time the con was over, I had 17 new books. If I had been allowed to use my card I would've gotten a lot more (really, you don't see those prices, like, ever). There was also a Ranma 1/2 DVD box set, but I wasn't about to shell out 50$ for it.

Other than the manga, I also got a Sanosuke key chain for my phone and a hat with bear ears. (I'm wearing the hat right now, actually, very comfy.)

After we spent some time in the vendors room, it was time for the opening ceremony and then the panels started. All the panels I went to were great, I had a so much fun just being around other fans like myself and I just loved the fact that we could all talk openly about anime, manga and cosplaying without getting dirty looks from non-fans.

Other than the panels, I also spent some time going around and asking various cosplayers if I could take their picture. I got some good ones too. I got Mario, Naruto, Riku, Link and Zelda, Jigen, Zuko, Colette, Light, Misa, Phoenix Wright, and a bunch of Kingdom Hearts people.

Also, there was a plushie making panel so I got to make my very own plushie. The only pattern available was for a riceball plushie, and I must say I did very well for a first-timer (although I stab myself twice with the needle... fucking needle).

We ended up leaving early (at like 5) because we live hours away from Halifax, so we left. And that was that. I will never forget this con and I hope that I'll be able to go to more. Maybe one of the big ones, I mean this one only had like 500 people, and I don't think there was even that many there. I'm hoping that one day I can go to Anime North in Toronto, but who knows.

1 comment:

Sadako said...

Yay! Glad you enjoyed it--conventions are always awesome.