Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I've come to share my sad

Okay, so I was on deviantArt last night and one of the people I'm following posted a journal about reading this really sad fanfic that reduced him/her to tears. And then all the comments under the journal went along the same lines. So I decided to read it. It was a Sherlock Holmes fanfic, and I'm not really part of the fandom so I thought I'd read it, find it sad, and then move on.

Wrong.

It wasn't just sad, it was SAD and DEPRESSING and OMGWHYDIDIREADTHIS!!!

I totally did cry while I was reading the fic and I still come close to tears now while thinking about certain parts of it... nuuuuuuuuu.

So I've decided to share the sadness with everyone. I do warn you, though, it is really, really sad.

Along with that, I'm also sharing two other fics I read before that pretty much drove me to tears. These three fics are the only ones I can remember actually making me sad (because I usually don't read angst, mostly to keep myself sane).

So, on y va!

Warning: all three fics contain character death and sad.

Alone On the Water: This is a Sherlock Holmes fanfic, and seems to be currently very popular with the fandom for being sad and depressing and reducing people to sobbing incoherently over their keyboards. This fic is beautifully written, very emotional, and I'm told that it captures the characters' (mainly Sherlock and John) personalities amazingly well (I personally wouldn't know since I'm not a fan).

Holding His Gaze: A Detective Conan fanfic, which I think is the first fic to really shake me up over character death since that one Dragonball Z fic that practically traumatized me when I was younger. This fic really got to me when I first read it because it was just too sad. This fic is also beautifully written and is full of many different emotions and asdflfkajfa. I'm not really a huge fan of that bit at the end, but it's probably a good thing it was there or I might've sobbed in a corner for days afterward (like I'd like to do right now after re-reading Alone on the Water).

My Slytherin Pride: Obviously, this one is a Harry Potter fic. Honestly, this one scared the shit out of me when I first read it years ago. It hit me on one of my paranoia levels, I think. I didn't really cry at it the first time I read it - I was too busy being scared/disturbed - but I cried a few times when I re-read it over the years. This fic is written in letter form and presents a different side to the character narrating than what we usually see from him. All three fics have character death in them, but this one has a character massacre going on, which is probably the main reason it scared me so much the first time I read it (kinda like that Dragonball Z fic, but on a different level since DBZ was a big part of my childhood).

So there you have it, three really depressing fanfictions. Enjoy!

Now, if you don't mind, I'll just return to my corner and sob some more (goddammit, Sherlock! D:).

No comments: